Claydon, meaning clayey hill, is the most northerly parish in Oxfordshire, and the small ironstone church stands at its highest point. It consists of chancel, nave, North aisle and North chapel, and a low West tower with a saddleback roof. The original church had a 12th Century nave and North aisle and most of the changes took place in the 13th Century.
Claydon was originally a chapelry of nearby Cropredy, where the Bishop of Lincoln held a large manor recorded in the Domesday Book. In 1851, Claydon joined the chapelry of Mollington and formed a separate benefice. In 1996 these parishes joined with Cropredy, Great Bourton and Wardington to form the Shires Edge Benefice, and we are grateful to the Benefice Vicar, Hilary Campbell for inviting us to play.
This beautiful old church was full to capacity for the fund-raising concert in aid of the church and the event raised nearly £400 for this purpose.
Our thanks to Hilary and the warm and appreciative audience for making us feel so welcome. We’ll look forward to coming back!